Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Why the catechism all of a sudden?

Just in case you're wondering what has spurred on my sudden shift in topics from canonical criticism to the Westminster catechism is due to a sudden shift in priorities. Up until a couple of days ago, I was still on summer study mode. However, I am now registered for most of my classes that I need to take this semester. There is but one class that I have not registered for, which is a preaching class that requires that I have a working knowledge of the catechism starting from question 1 through 54. Needless to say, Childs has had to take a backseat to the Westminster divines for the moment.

I've actually wanted to have the opportunity to memorize the catechism for quite some time, but never actually had the necessary motivation to do so. Presently, it is a matter of life and death for me to enter into this preaching class. I'm doing pretty good so far and making good progress. My wife just tested me tonight and she found that I was able to spout off the first 20 answers with a relative accuracy "of about 98%" in her estimation. I was also able to roughly regurgitate the next five answers. I've got about 15 more days to go to make it all the way to my proficiency goal! Well, I am going to grind the coffee for tomorrow morning and then go to bed.

1 comment:

  1. It's always encouraging when you realize you can still memorize. Apparently, studies have shown that learning second, third, fourth, etc, languages help us stave off dementia. I think memorizing scripture, poetry, or catechisms help contribute as well. I'd like to hear which one is your favorite and why.

    ReplyDelete